Please note that the Darwin Core information presented here may be out of date. The up-to-date, authoritative source is at http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/.
The Darwin Core (DwC) is a body of standards. It includes a glossary of terms (in other contexts these might be called properties, elements, fields, columns, attributes, or concepts) intended to facilitate the sharing of information about biological diversity by providing reference definitions, examples, and commentaries. The Darwin Core is primarily based on taxa, their occurrence in nature as documented by observations, specimens, and samples, and related information.
Included are documents describing how these terms are managed, how the set of terms can be extended for new purposes, and how the terms can be used. The Simple Darwin Core [SIMPLEDWC] is a specification for one particular way to use the terms - to share data about taxa and their occurrences in a simply structured way - and is probably what is meant if someone suggests to “format your data according to the Darwin Core”.
Contributors: John Wieczorek (MVZ), Markus Döring (GBIF), Renato De Giovanni (CRIA), Tim Robertson (GBIF), Dave Vieglais (KUNHM)
Namespace URI: http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/ with preferred namespace prefix “dwc”.
Darwin Core Event • Darwin Core FossilSpecimen • Darwin Core GeologicalContext • Darwin Core HumanObservation • Darwin Core Identification • Darwin Core LivingSpecimen • Darwin Core Location • Darwin Core MachineObservation • Darwin Core Material Sample • Darwin Core Measurement or Fact • Darwin Core Organism • Darwin Core PreservedSpecimen • Darwin Core Record-level Terms • Darwin Core Resource Relationship • Darwin Core Taxon
Darwin Core is published by Biodiversity Information Standards (TDWG) from the http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/ namespace.
- TDWG Darwin Core standard
- TDWG Darwin Core Task Group
- Wieczorek J, Bloom D, Guralnick R, Blum S, Döring M, et al. (2012) Darwin Core: An Evolving Community-Developed Biodiversity Data Standard. PLoS ONE 7(1): e29715. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0029715 
- Technical on-wiki mechanism importing URI identifiers for the Darwin Core terms
- Export RDF description for this Vocabulary
- Export an RDF overview list of all Darwin Core Terms and Properties defined here